Health Promotion Agency’s game helps navigate the grey areas of intoxication
Learning that tests consequences
There are around 100,000 sellers and servers of alcohol currently employed in New Zealand. With the introduction of new legislation, all staff serving and selling alcohol needed to be brought up to speed on their obligations and well versed in best practice interventions. Training for sellers and servers of alcohol was previously ad hoc and based on identified need across the hospitality industry. This training was delivered by either regulatory agencies or individual management, providing plenty of gaps and a lack of a level playing field in the licensed arena.
Discussions with these stakeholders revealed a number of challenges with the existing learning, such as: availability of training and ease of access, cost, and a noticeable lack of motivation to undertake the training. HPA partnered with Kineo to address these barriers and conduct effective workshops with key stakeholders so that the learning solution would capture industry best practice across a wide range of contexts and meet the needs of all industry groups.
The learning was targeted at anyone intending to serve or supply alcohol in licensed premises. That means both sellers of alcohol in off-licensed scenarios (ie bottle stores and supermarkets) and servers of alcohol in on-licensed settings (ie bars, restaurants, cafes, clubs and entertainment venues) across New Zealand.
If HPA was to make a positive difference, they needed to get buy-in and approval from authorities, agencies, businesses and staff.
To pull this wide demographic into the learning, the solution needed to:
- have an interesting and fun approach to what could be considered dry, technical content
- give learners choices – in particular, being able to ‘skip’ learning if they had the skills and attempt challenges straight away
- allow learners to test consequences of their actions and even fail, in a safe environment
- provide a real context for the learning to practice the actual decisions and activities they would experience
- be broken up into short chunks of five to ten minutes to fit their learners’ on-the-go working environment.
A tailored elearning solution
Kineo developed a fully bespoke solution and innovative game which deploys via a Totara Learn platform and is linked to the HPA website for easy access.
Upon launching the game, learners tailor their experience by selecting the role that best matches their job and personalise their own avatar.